You’ll need to do a few things if you want to sell your Mac, or wipe out its data altogether. Of course, remove your hard drive. But this does not mean that your data will be totally lost. Now think about how to factory reset MacBook Pro.
Before you factory reset your MacBook Pro, make sure you have a current backup. On macOS Mojave and earlier Macs, you’ll need to re-authorize your device in iTunes. Explore in the menu bar for “Account” → “Authorization” → “Reauthorize this computer”.
If you use iMessage, iCloud, or FaceTime, you will need to sign out. They do not limit this to signing out of any other record under “System Preferences” → “Internet Accounts”. If you’re giving your MacBook Pro to someone in your family unit, you may need to unpair any Bluetooth gadgets as well.
Also, if you’re planning on selling your MacBook with only the Butterfly console, it’s a smart idea to replace it with nothing if you haven’t done so yet.
Using this guide, you’ll be able to factory reset your MacBook Pro step-by-step.
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow. So, let’s begin!!!
- The first step is to make a current backup of your device. If you are using macOS or earlier, sign out of iTunes. Navigate to the “Account” section and select “Authorizations” from there. There are plenty of options available on the “Authorizations” pop-up menu once you find the option. Click on the option titled “Reauthorize This Computer” on the menu that appears.
- The second step is to sign out of iCloud once you have completed the above steps. In order to do this, navigate to the “System Preference” and they will ask you for the Apple ID and Security Key. After entering the required credentials, click on the “Overview” option and hit the “Sign Out” button.
- The step is to sign out of FaceTime and iMessage. Do the procedure for every application.
- Resetting the NVRAM and booting the device in macOS Recovery are the final steps of this step. Once done, remove the startup disk and then reinstall a current copy of the macOS.
These are the instructions for how to hard reset the MacBook Pro!
Wondering How to Reset NVRAM
Apple notes in a help record that resetting the NVRAM is essential, as it clears out user settings and restores security defaults. You can do this by turning off and then turning on your MacBook Pro / Air.
Turn on the device by pressing the four function keys simultaneously: “Command”, “Option”, “P”, and “R”. Once the combination keys have been held for 30 seconds, release them.
Using macOS Recovery will install an alternate rendition of macOS based on the key combination you assign when booting up your Mac (no establishment plates or macOS installed on an external drive are required). Let go of one of the following keys when you see the Apple logo or globe just after the power button.
- ⌘R (Option Command R) =Update to the version of the macOS which is compatible with the Mac device.
- ⌘R (Command R) = Install the most recent version of the macOS which is installed on the Mac device, without updating to a previous version.
As Apply describes on its Support Pages, in case you’re selling your Mac device that issues OS X El Capitan or prior, in that case, try to use Option-Command-R in order to ensure that the installation isn’t related to your Apple ID. This likewise introduces the most recent accessible programming.
For this walkthrough, we used ⌘R, which will use macOS Recovery over the web and reinstall the most recent macOS adaptation (this alternative requires a Wi-Fi connection).
There may be a delay in loading macOS Recovery, depending on your internet connection. At the point when the entire procedure is finished, you’ll see the macOS utility window.
Follow the steps below to remove the Startup Disk (Solid State Drive or Hard Drive):
Step 1: Open the “Utility” window and select “Disk Utility”. Once you find the option, tap on it and hit the option named “Continue”.
Step 2: Afterwards, choose the “Startup Disk” that is inside the Disk Utility (Hit the topmost options, such as Apple SSD).
Step 3: From The Utility window, choose the option “Erase”.
In case you are not able to locate the Erase option or select the option, then you need to press the Volume name and try it once again.
Step 4: In the next step, you need to enter a name for the Disk.
For a new Mac device, Macintosh HD is the default name. Therefore, you can apply the GUID Partition Map for the scheme and macOS Extended (Journaled) for formatting.
Step 5: Once all the above-mentioned steps are executed in the proper manner, hit the “Erase” button from the Disk Utility menu bar.
Afterward, choose “Quit Disk Utility” in order to return to the utility window.
How do you prevent data loss on your MacBook?
Can you imagine how you will feel if your important office presentation is missing from your MacBook? Stress can increase when you cannot recover valuable data. Before searching for the right solutions to recover the issue, find out the probable reasons behind data loss. You may also lose data from your system due to the following reasons.
- Attacks are caused by viruses or malware.
- Failure of the operating system.
- Malfunctioning of the storage device.
- Manual error.
- Water damage on your MacBook.
- Boot error on your MacBook.
- Power outages.
- Third-party interferences.
- Keeping a backup solves and prevents data loss.
Backup is nothing but holding an additional copy of data that you can use in the future to restore. Sometimes, users hit the delete button and lose their important files for which they might not have any backup. Many times you might lose both of your original and backup files and feel frustrated about not being able to recover them. Nothing to worry about, as these files can be recovered by connecting with professional service providers. In case you have deleted an important file of yours with no backup, contact our experts at UTM India. Our tech specialists will provide you with affordable data recovery services within a brief span.
Professional services for MacBook Data Recovery:
We are a reliable service provider of MacBook which is committed to serving our users and providing them maximum satisfaction. Our experts have a vast experience in data recovery services. Their quick retrieval method lets them recover your lost MacBook data quickly.
We offer a wide range of data recovery services to our users around the world.
- Data recovery from MacBook Pro hard drive.
- Recovering data from an iMac.
- Data Recovery from Mac Hard Drives to PCs.
- Data recovery from remote sources.
- Accidentally deleted the hard drive recovery.
- Getting data back from a Mac external hard drive
All our solutions are tailor-made, and you can avail yourself of them easily by calling us or dropping an email. We are available at your service round the clock. Thus, you can reach us whenever you need us regarding data Recovery From a MacBook.
Complete the Factory Reset by Reinstalling the macOS
In order to complete the factory reset procedure, you need to reinstall the macOS.
Here are the steps to take so:
- Go back to the main menu of the macOS utility window. Now, choose “Reinstall macOS” from the appeared menu.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions and choose the disk you need to install the macOS.
- If you are using the Mac Notebook device, you must plug in the power cable. • Afterward, hit the option “Install”.
- If your device has an SSD, in that case. You might find 20-30 minutes of installation estimate. But if you don’t have an SSD, then it might take a long time.