I don’t know exactly how you feel about the roof of a house, but among professional builders . it is considered almost the most important element of the structure of any structure – after all, the life of the building as a whole depends on it. The house itself, with the exception of force majeure . will not begin to collapse as long as there is a reliable and waterproof roof above it. It is for this reason that it is necessary to monitor it and carry out repairs in a timely manner. In this article, together with the website stroisovety.org .
Roof repair: causes and most common places of leaks
The roof can begin to leak in three cases – this is the wear of the roof repair san antonio tx material itself (simply put, its aging), deliberately incorrect installation, as well as damage caused by mechanical means. It does not matter for which of these reasons a leak has occurred .
what is important is the fact that it must be eliminated as quickly as possible. As a rule, when it comes to repairing the roof of the roofs.
the conversation is about a certain area of it – there are places in which the probability of leaks is maximum. It is in them that you need to look for the reason if we are talking about implicit leaks. These places include.
causes and most common places of leaks
Endovy – relatively speaking, this is a lowland into which a huge amount of water flows from the roof slopes during rain or snow melting. In this place, even the smallest hole can pass a huge amount of water under the roof.
Chimney and ventilation pipes exit points . In most cases, leaks in such places are associated with a lack of installation or aging of the roofing material – such leaks are sealed quite simply with the help of modern materials.
- The flatness of the roof itself – here it is quite difficult to write off.
- All the leaks on the negligence of the craftsmen. As they say, you need to be an absolute layman in the installation of roof.
- structures so that a leak appears on a flat plane, from the start. Most often, leaks in these places occur either due to mechanical damage, or as a result of aging of the material itself.
- Skate. Oddly enough, but in this place of the roof leaks occur less often – water does not stay here. In order for the skate to start letting water through, its protection must be completely absent. But, as they say, anything can happen, and the possibility of a ridge leakage cannot be ruled out.
How to make roof repair with your own hands: soft roof
In most cases, in the process of manufacturing roofs of private houses, no other roofing material is used except for shingles, which is also called flexible shingles . Roll materials are the lot of apartment buildings and other buildings. It is to this material that we will become attached, studying the technology of roof repair san antonio tx a soft roof .
Repair of any soft roof cannot be done in winter, even if there is a thaw outside.
The fact is that almost all soft roofing materials in winter lose their flexibility.
the simply break, even if they are handled carefully. Repair of a soft roof repair san antonio tx should be carried out in the warm season, when its plasticity reaches its maximum.
In general, it is quite easy to replace damaged parts of shingles, and this process looks like this.
- To begin with, we undermine the upper row of shingle plates over the damaged area .
- to perform this operation, you can use a crowbar, crowbar and other similar tools. At least two strips of shingles installed above will have to be blown up.
- We take out the damaged fragment of the roof repair san antonio tx material – you can pull it out harshly, as they say, without ceremony. The main thing is that in the process of such removal, whole sections of the roofing material are not damaged.
roof repair san antonio tx
- Remove the nails that were used to attach the shingles. Do not hammer them with a hammer. The only thing you will achieve this way is to damage the entire upper stripes.
- Thoroughly coat the bare section of the roof with bituminous mastic.
- the start a new tile fragment, pressing it tightly to the base of the roof.
- Now we coat the back side of the folded flexible tile with mastic and press it back. We fix the edge with small carnations, which, after installation, are filled with bituminous mastic on top.
In this way, any section of the roof made of flexible.
tiles is replaced – valleys, ridge, flat slope and even pipe exit points are no exception.
If the roof has worn out to one degree or another . this does not always mean that it is necessary to change it completely. Repairing the roof of a private house is an event that is quite sufficient in many cases. Depending on the degree of damage, this can be either major work or a minor fix. The older the coating is, the more forces and materials will have to be spent. But after that, the roof will thank you, having reliably served for many more years.
How to repair sheet roofing material
Slate, metal tiles , ondulin and corrugated board are often used for roofing roofs. By and large, leaks on such structures occur quite rarely and in most cases.
they are caused by poor-quality installation – unlike a soft roof, it is very easy to deal with them. The choice of a method for eliminating leaks is based on the nature of the damage.
- Leaks at the junction of the planes and the exit to the outside of the pipes. We arm ourselves with a screwdriver or a wrench, unscrew the fasteners of the protective apron, pump bitumen sealant into the places where the pipes and the roof fit, and put everything in place. Quite simply, quickly, and most importantly, reliably – such damage or leakage can still occur from the drying out of the sealant used during the installation of the roof. So do not rush to blame everything on poor-quality installation, but first study the problem. TYPES OF roof repair san antonio tx.
sheet roofing material
- The French is particularly reliable for high altitude areas as its shape, the two square grooves, helps more in removing snow. They give an impressive visual effect and are a very popular type of tile. Roman tile is quite similar to Byzantine and is a dominant type in Greek roofs. Functional and easy to install, it combines impeccable aesthetics with an excellent rainwater drainage capacity. Byzantine tiles retain a classic but contemporary and timeless look .
- which makes them particularly popular in areas that maintain a traditional style. It is an ideal solution for reconstructions of buildings, which do not have the capacity for heavy weight. They are applicable on very small slopes.
- Small holes in the roofing material. Agree, because of one small hole, it will be at least wrong to change a sheet of roofing material . here it is better to carry out local repairs and use the same sealant for these purposes. Quite frankly, a sealant, bituminous or silicone , is a versatile remedy for repairing small damages in sheet roofing material . it is suitable for both metal sheets and ondulin and even slate.
- Global damage caused by corrosion or mechanical damage. Naturally, it will be wrong to bring the roof to such a state – the roof, especially metal.
- needs to be monitored and looked after. At intervals of one or two years, you should climb onto the roof of the house, look for rust . clean it off and cover the corroded areas with paint. Without such care, and then you cannot do without a complete replacement of the roofing material. In general, you need to respect the work of the workers and take care of your savings . which can be spent with much greater benefit than throwing them away for unplanned repairs to a slate roof or any other sheet material. In general, replacing one or more sheets of roofing material is quite simple . the sheet to be replaced is unscrewed fromthe sheathing and adjacent sheets of roofing material is removed and a new one is inserted instead. You should not fasten the sheets of roofing material with old self . tapping screws – their press washers are probably already dry and unable to perform their function.
Slate roof repair
This is how things stand with the issue of roof repair san antonio tx. In this article, we examined exclusively damage to the roofing material, but during operation, damage can also be in other structural elements – the crate often rotts (this is caused by the untimely elimination of roof leaks), if the roof is not properly calculated, the rafters can sag, which also need to be restored or changed … and the repair of the roof does not turn into a large-scale natural disaster. this part of the house must be monitored.