Many people need urgent repairs from a professional locksmith. This is especially true if you are stranded outside your home, say, after misplacing your keys. This is also true in the event of a break-in attempt. Unfortunately, there are numerous scams in the locksmithing industry. Some companies indeed take advantage of the panicked state of their customers, especially after burglaries. How to avoid the scams of certain locksmiths The All in One Locksmith teams share some sound advice with you in this article.
Identify the most common techniques to avoid being scammed by certain locksmiths.
First and foremost, avoiding locksmith scams requires becoming aware of the main methods used by these unscrupulous providers. Thus, the most commonly identified scams are the following:
- Change the lock when enough to repair the cylinder, which has suffered slight damage.
- It is an obligation to change the lock when it is not necessary, in particular in the case of immediate intervention for a slammed door.
- Deterioration of the door to force the customer to change it entirely
- Invoicing of additional services without any justification or even without the latter being carried out is illegal.
Do careful research.
Calling a locksmith cannot be improvised. Therefore, one piece of advice that we give you to avoid the scams of certain locksmiths is to conduct your research upstream. The latter must be conscientious and based on several criteria.
Check the following points to choose qualified locksmith technicians, recognized and appreciated for their quality work:
- The reputation of the professional: the opinions left on the web are good indicators, although insufficient to form an opinion. If the opinions are all in the positive direction, highlighting the satisfactory work, the good availability, and the effective interventions of these repairmen, this is an encouraging sign.
- Choose a locksmith who works in your locality, especially to reduce travel costs.
- Opt for an approved locksmith, whether you want to install an armored door, change a cylinder, open a safe, or for any necessary intervention.
- Call him and ask him all your questions over the phone. Do not hesitate to ask him if he carries out emergency interventions and, if so, what price he charges. Serious professionals will give you precise indications of the price charged.
- Check the locksmith’s address online. This is a relevant indication of knowing if the professional works for a legitimate company or not.
The estimate is a prerequisite to avoiding any locksmith scam.
A locksmith who comes to your home without giving you an estimate beforehand is generally not an honest professional. So never let a locksmith come to your home and start the work without making an estimate beforehand.
Therefore, the professional will always give you a price range and an average time frame for this mission. Ask him if the estimate is free to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Also, keep in mind that until the professional has considered the full extent of the repair, he can only give you an estimated price. The latter is therefore not fixed. Therefore, to be sure to make the right choice and to contact a serious person,
find out about the following elements:
- Service charge
- Cost of supplies and various parts. A quick search on the Internet will let you know the price ranges.
- The cost of labor, which varies depending on the type of troubleshooting for your locks
- Travel costs are higher if the rapid intervention takes place on weekends or public holidays. Hire a professional with the necessary experience. The rate of the locksmith must also respect your budget.
- Deadline and duration of intervention
- The total duration of the guarantee is
Request an invoice after the locksmith has completed the work.
Once the locksmith has finished performing his locksmith service, ask him for an invoice that specifies all the services performed. These must be carefully listed.
The invoice provided by the locksmith mentions the following elements, whatever the type of intervention (cylinder change, lock repair, door installation, new A2P lock, other locksmith repairs):
- Contact details of the locksmith company: name, address, SIREN number, or registration number in the Directory of Trades
- Customer information: name and address in particular
- Date of surgery
- Details of the services provided: description, parts, quantity, amount excluding VAT, amount of VAT, price of travel
- The total amount paid by the customer, including tax,
Beware of overpriced items.
Some locksmith sites offer a very competitive price and pride themselves on exceptional know-how, with intervention as soon as possible. It is not uncommon to see some professionals offer to bill starting at $15, all-inclusive, for example. If so, beware since these locksmiths are charging a lot more than expected. Their objective is to attract as many people as possible interested in the prices offered.
A cheap locksmith is not always honest. Know that a reliable and serious professional locksmith considers the labor, the price of the various parts, and the cost of travel before providing you with an estimate. This quote is not the same for all customers.
In addition, since the needs expressed by customers are highly variable, a locksmith cannot ever charge a price of $15. So do not choose a locksmith whose prices are much too low, at the risk of finding yourself in difficulty once he has completed the work.
Beware of common locksmith scams.
In the case of a slammed door, the reality is sometimes complex for customers who find themselves in an emergency locksmith situation. The latter is then in a panic and are often victims of scams by certain unscrupulous locksmiths.
A locksmith who claims your lock needs to be replaced and drilled because of a slammed door is unreliable or honest. Indeed, this assertion is false. A competent locksmith uses the most appropriate solutions to quickly open your door without drilling your lock.
Thus, if you are faced with a locksmith who offers to drill the lock, telling you that this is the only possible solution, do not allow him to carry out this action since he may be trying to scam you and inflate the bill. A good locksmith uses the right tools to open a slammed door. Whatever the level of security of your lock is, all brands combined.
Beware of locksmiths asking you to pay in cash.
How to avoid the scams of certain locksmiths When the locksmith asks you to pay cash only, it is not a good omen. Indeed, a locksmith who tries to scam his customers will ask them to pay cash and in cash.
A reliable locksmith company allows customers to pay in several ways: credit card, cash, or bank check. Therefore, we advise you to ask for the payment method for the service before starting the locksmith work with the professional who will repair your lock at home.
What are your remedies for locksmith scams?
Inflation is therefore legal and does not constitute an offense, legally speaking. However, we invite you to take a few precautions to avoid certain locksmith scams.
Keep all the documents you deem useful, such as the estimate and the invoice. Also, keep the parts changed by the pro. These elements are the only ones you can rely on to prove the scam.
Would you like to hire a professional locksmith Tampa to repair your lock? The All in one Locksmith experts are at your disposal to give you the best advice.