Video Conferencing were the most used tools of communication in most industries, during the pandemic of 2020 (SensorTower, 2020).
Although web video conferencing software used for such meetings delivered on efficiency and employee productivity, there were inherent vulnerabilities. Chiefly, security and privacy issues. ‘Zoombombing’ was the most reported security incident, wherein intruders would crash into video conferences and meetings, misbehave and embarrass the host and the attendees. Business meetings were disrupted by intruders causing unnecessary distraction and more importantly security concerns. Other issues such as the quality of the video and recording features of meetings are separate concerns within the hosted video conference industry.
In the wake of Covid-19, all the businesses have gone online. With virtual communications becoming the norm it is becoming increasingly important to ensure data security and privacy on the platforms businesses use for communication. Follow these tips to maintain privacy and protect your data when you host or join any online video conferencing.
Try these 5 Steps to Secure your Video Conferencing API!
Privacy-protection and security are primary drivers in customer engagement. Customer support or video chat with end users, your video conferencing software using these five best practices will define their user experiences…
- Encrypted Video Conferencing
Cyber security practices recommend the use of encryption as a critical feature for video conferencing platforms. Use of 128-bit as advanced encryption standard protocols generate keys to unlock by users of the video calls. Keys are generated at the start of each session, automatically. Hence this security protocol used for video conferencing will minimize vulnerabilities at the user end and ensure privacy video conferencing.
- Single Sign-On (SSO) for User Verification
For online secure video conferences a strong method of authentication of users, based on a single login for the individual customer is highly recommended. When supported by the vendor it allows IT teams to track breaches and mitigate issues based on entitlement profile. Secure video conferencing solution can therefore be built using the SSO method.
- No-Download Software with Browser-Based Video Conferencing
In this unique alternative called web online meetings api there is no need to download software for navigation on their devices. The risk of contaminated software is removed. Secondly, software upgrades for the video conferencing solution are also not needed. Thirdly, end users can use the same digital device for accessing internal databases as well, on the video conferencing solutions.
- Controlling Access with Domain-Based Security
In video conferencing software by using domain-based security features, the administrator is able to control access through permissions at the individual and group level. The benefit is that the intruder or outsider without the proper permissions is not able to enter the conference and is blocked by the administrator. This feature provides greater level of control and security and ensures secure video conference best practices in this spectrum.
- Security Protocols you Need for Video Conferencing
When security is taken seriously by the stakeholders, infrastructure is safe along with identities of the users and protection of keys used such as SSO or encryption.
The following best practices need to be explored:
- Video recording should become a necessary practice and commitment of every participant of the meeting has to be taken.
- Recording of the meeting should not be allowed on personal mobile devices
- Private video conferences should be the platform for sharing of sensitive information
- All confidential and personal information must not be shown on camera
- When others are presenting or discussing, microphones and cameras have to be turned
- Cameras have to be handled by authorized users only
- Waiting room feature to restrict unauthorized access is necessary for private meetings and locking the event after everyone is inside is best practice
- Meeting moderators have to manually add and remove attendees who do not follow the invitation links
- Private corporate meetings should not be held on public hotspot
Hence, secure video conference protocol is essential for setting up a positive user experience.
Here is How Video Conferencing Software will Protect and Secure your Meetings
Video Conferencing is simply made most secure by Contus MirrorFly. Encryption protocols such as the secure real-time protocol of additional layers offer protection in real time with video as well as audio transmission.
- The browser application ensures that software does not have to be downloaded from the internet for an attendee to be present in the conference
- Extensive use of technology such as webRTC encryption protocols for each of the components and signalling level ensure highest levels of encryption and security
- The use of data transport layer security with encryption helps in the identification and control of several data intrusion activities such as – eavesdropping, tampering a message or forgery.
Contus Mirrofly secure video conferencing solution incorporates best practices for improving privacy and security of every end user.
- Multiple layers such as secure https connection running over a websocket so as to secure the signaling challenges related to data and voice transport to control
- user credential protection
- storage of login data,
- ensures cryptographic caches are untampered
- Browser based solution for video conferencing ensures
- users’ microphones and camera devices are controlled at the web browser itself
- As per current protocols explicit permission from end users for device implementation and access by the video conferencing solution is also included
- Control of critical tools therefore provides the host greater control over the meeting
Hinece, Contus Mirrofly solutions render virtual meetings multi-layered in security with unique access key controls for each participant preventing unauthorised access during the process of the meeting.
Take Away :
As the video conferencing solutions mature, issues related to security and privacy are being prioritized by the developer community. When it comes to the internet, security is a major concern. All the tools and applications developed enable virtual communication but we must keep a watch on the information we share through it. Video conference has several tools in the market from which you can choose the one that works best for you – concerning features and pricing. Regardless of which video conferencing software you choose, follow these ten tips to keep yourself and your data secure online
Contus Mirrorfly video conferencing api highest security standards that eliminate risks related to video conference software because it is:
- Browser based video conference applications will ensure
- Domains based security
- Security features to address video conference issues are:
- End to end encryption or full encryption
- Single Sign on or SSO
Besides, cybersecurity experts recommendations are incorporated in these products.