Overview: Looking for a solution to recover password from PST file? If yes, don’t worry now. This article describes the complete solution. Stay with us till the end and get the complete solution of your problem.
In today’s world, we have all noticed that passwords play an important role in all types of applications available on the market. However, many applications today don’t even provide a password protection feature to protect PST files. However, one of the most popular applications, Outlook, provides this functionality. This is why Outlook has a final number for the user database.
Outlook is a very safe application that stores password protected data very securely, but sometimes users forget the password of the PST file. This is a very common problem. Then don’t worry! In this blog we will explain various techniques for removing passwords.
Manual Approach to Recover Password from PST File
There are two somewhat verbose manual methods, the third being a automatic to remove passwords from protected PST files. Follow these steps to remove the PST password:
- In MS Outlook, open the Start button
- From the drop-down menu, select Info, then click the Account Settings option
- The Account Settings dialog will appear, then switch to the Data Files tab
- On the selected tab, select the Settings option
- Now, the Outlook Data File dialog box appears and you can find the Change Password option
- In the Old Password box, type the password that you previously set for the PST file, then type New Password and clear the Verify Password check box
- Click the OK button.
Note: This task is only applicable if you know the Outlook PST password. If you lose or forget your password, please follow the methods below.
2# Remove PST Password With pst19upg.exe
- Close MS Outlook on the system
- Find the location of scanpst.exe on your system which is C: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ System \ MAPI \\ scanpst.exe
- Open it and click Repair
Note *: Please make a backup of this PST file before starting this process.
- Now open a CMD prompt or press the Window key + R
- Browse the path of the PST file at the CMD prompt
- A new PST file named psx will be created, with xyz being the name of the PST file
- Rename the new PST to the old PST
- Type exe-newfilename.psx at the command prompt and press Enter
- Once the whole process is complete, the PST password will be removed from the PST file. Now run scanpst.exe and recover the newly created PST data file. Check if the file is safe by running it in MS Outlook.
Disadvantages of Using pst19upg.exe
The main drawback of this utility is that it can only be used in MS Outlook 2002 and earlier versions. If the user is using Outlook 2003 and later, this utility cannot be used to remove passwords from the PST file. This technique only works with ANSI code in PST format, not Unicode format.
So the question arises, what should you do now to unlock the PST file? Now I will tell you the most efficient way to remove password from Outlook PST file.
Automatic Solution to Recover Password from PST File Without Outlook
If the manual methods don’t work well, you can use trusted third-party tool. One such application is the PST Password Recovery Software. This utility allows you to recover emails from password protected PST without installing MS Outlook application. It is enough to recover passwords from multiple Outlook PST files. This application is designed to recover or remove PST passwords of any length and access locked emails in password protected PST files. Moreover, it supports recovery of all kinds of passwords i.e. lost/forgotten or multilingual. It has graphical user interface that even novice users can use without any technical knowledge.
The software comes with a simple, fast and user-friendly interface that allows both technical and non-technical users to unlock their PST passwords in a friendly environment without any technical experience.
- Launch the application and you will be prompted to scan the PST files that may need to be restored
- Click the Add File or Add Folder option to browse for that data file
- Select the desired folder that is further processed and press the OK button
- After browsing all the data files, the device starts to represent the PST file and its current state on the software screen
- This status describes the encrypted Outlook PST files
- The status report displayed in the software panel can be exported and saved in a CSV file using the Generate CSV Report option
- Click the Remove Password button to recover password protected PST file
It’s time to finish my article because I have told you several ways to recover password from PST file. The manual method is quite long, so if you want a shortcut to remove the password from the PST file, you can directly download the software. The decision is yours, so make the decision according to your convenience.