Overview: Are you one of those people who are looking for solutions to recover lost Outlook data file password? If so then read this article. Here we will describe the complete process of recovering huge amount of data without facing any size limitations and without facing problems.
MS Outlook is a “feature-rich” email client that has enabled businesses or individuals to exchange information with others in a secure environment. Moreover, Outlook PST files are not only safe but also portable. Users can make a copy of the PST file and save it as a mailbox backup. Depending on your needs, for example, someone needs to access your mailbox on another system, so you can directly import the PST file into the Microsoft Office Outlook client installed on your machine. Well, if users are concerned about data security, they will create a password in the Outlook PST file. This will help users protect their data from viruses and unauthorized use. At some point, users lose or forget their Outlook password, so they have to recover the data. Now, in the following section, we will discuss the step by step process to recover PST data file passwords.
Manual Method to Recover Lost Outlook Data File Password
This is a different way that users use to reset lost Outlook data file (pst) password.
- Open MS Office Outlook 2013 on your computer
- Go to the Information tab, select Account Settings and click the Account Settings option
- In the Account Setup dialog, switch to the Data Files tab
- Highlight the Outlook Data File (PST) where the user needs to set a password and click the Set option
- In the Outlook Data File dialog box, Hit the Change Password button
- In the Change Password dialog box, enter the password (up to 15 characters and is case sensitive) in the New Password and Verify fields
- Note: If a password has already been set, set the same password in the old password field to update with the new password. )
- Click the OK button to save all the new settings
Note: Create a strong mailbox password and make sure you don’t forget it. If you forget this password, Microsoft will not be able to help you recover it.
- Close your Outlook account and back up the .pst file before continuing
- Press Windows key + R, open a command prompt and type the path to pst19up with the file name PST. Then press enter
- After that, you can make a copy of the original PST file named filename.psx.
- Rename the original PST file to avoid confusion
- At the command prompt, type pst19upg again: path to the PST file (filename.psx)
- Now you will find a new PST file without a password
- Finally, you can open a password protected unlocked Outlook PST file.
Some points to consider before proceeding:
- Recovering Outlook data file password manually is not as easy as it seems. The manual method also has some drawbacks and limitations. Users should be aware of these limitations before proceeding:
- This manual method only works with Outlook 2003 and earlier .pst files. You can only use this method to remove passwords from ANSI type .pst files
- You have to repeat the whole process for each .pst file
- In the manual method, the potential for human error is very high. In order to successfully complete the process, you must be technically sound
- The manual method is also very time consuming.
Automatic Solution to Recover Lost Outlook Data File Password
If the manual method doesn’t work, you can try some third-party apps to get the job done. Among them, you can use the PST Password Remover Tool. It is a powerful solution that helps to recover passwords from multiple PST files without losing data. It is enough to recover long and multilingual passwords from PST files. The best part of this tool is that it can recover PST files that are not password protected without any problem. It has a simple and easy to use interface and even novice users can use it without much knowledge.
NOTE: The demo version of this app can restore the first state which will appear as a lock icon. For unlimited conversion process, you need to purchase the licensed version of this app.
Steps to Recover Lost PST Password Without Outlook
- First, Download the Software to your computer
- Select the folder that requires further processing and click the OK button
- The same status reports that appeared in the software dashboard in the previous step can be exported and saved to a CSV file using the “Create CSV Report” option
- Finally, click the “Remove Password” button and unlock the PST file.
It is always a good idea to password protect Outlook data files. Sometimes people forget passwords and lose access to PST files. So, in this blog, we introduce several ways to recover lost Outlook data file password. Also, we recommend users to use other methods to reset unlimited passwords from Outlook PST files. There is no need to install or configure MS Outlook while recovering lost / forgotten PST password.