QuickBooks Company File tends to completely store your organization’s important financial data. It isn’t that hard to identify all thanks to its extension .QBW. But if you face a situation where the QuickBooks company file is not found on the browse command, you should not take the risk of ignoring this error. In fact, it should be resolved as soon as possible. If you see ‘QuickBooks Company File Not Found’, it is always considered to be a strange occurrence in the program.
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Company File Not Found?
There is a chance that QuickBooks may not manage to find your company file in case you’ve moved your company file at any recent time. That’s when the ‘QuickBooks Company File is missing’ issue turns into a headache, and there could be various reasons for QuickBooks company file is missing issue such as:
- QuickBooks Company File is moved to a different location.
- Accidental deletion of QuickBooks Company File (locally or server).
- Unstable network connection.
- Wrong option being utilized to further open a QuickBooks Company File.
You may also see:- QuickBooks sync Manager Error
Ways To Fix ‘QuickBooks Company File Not Found’
It is quite obvious that in case you’re in a situation where you can’t find the QuickBooks company file, you would clearly lose complete access to all of your important data related to the accounting records or book keeping. It’s no hidden fact that such a situation would definitely hamper your work progress. Which is exactly why you would try your best to fix the ‘QuickBooks Company File Not Found’ error as soon as possible. On top of that, a simple and easy solution to this error would be the cherry on top. So, we present to you detailed troubleshooting solutions which would assist you in fixing the ‘QuickBooks Company File Not Found’ error. You should follow the given steps correctly, with no mistakes in case the QuickBooks company file extension is missing or not opening.
Method 1: Make Sure That Your Network Connectivity Is Stable and Strong
If you wish to cross-check the network connectivity, you would have the option to select to ping the server. If you happen to receive a quick response for every single packet, that basically means that your connection is stable and strong which would obviously help you out in the longer run. But, if you happen to experience lag or a slow reply, then we would suggest that you try fixing the connectivity problem. As soon as you have a stable connection, go ahead with the process of troubleshooting to fix the QuickBooks the company file could not be found issue. We’ve mentioned the important steps below to fix the QuickBooks Company File Not Found error:
- Press Windows + R together.
- Simply type CMD in the Run Program Box.
- Tap on Enter.
- Type ipconfig/all and then tap on OK or Enter.
- Remember the Host Name (Server’s Name).
- Then, type Ping (Server Name) and then click on Enter.
- If you receive a reply for every single packet, that basically means that you have a strong and stable network. So, you should get a reply once you ping the server or you may notice a data loss (either of the two).
- In case you experience packet loss or a late reply, we would suggest that you consult a certified IT professional.
Method 2: Check For All QuickBooks Company File
For your maximum ease we have even mentioned the various extensions. You have the option to type so that you can go to the server computer and then you can simply make a wildcard search for every single company file. But, keep note that you have to put the Asterisk (*) right before the extensions so that you can correctly search for the files and to fix the QuickBooks Company File Not Found error.
- *.QBW- For QuickBooks Company File
- *.QBX- For Accountants Transfer File
- *.QBA- For Accountants Copy File
- *.QBB- For Backup File
- *.QBY- For Accountants Change File
Quick Tip- You should note down every single location of all your files. Then, you can choose to further follow the next solution.
Method 3: Utilize The Right Option And Open A Certain File
So, you have to open a certain file while following the given method to resolve the QuickBooks Company File Not Found error:
- Tap on File >> Open or Restore Company >> Restore A Backup File.
- Company File- File >> Open or Restore Company >> Open A Company File
- Accountants Transfer File- File >> Open or Restore A Company >> Convert A Transfer File of Accountant’s Copy.
Why Are You Not Able To Find Your QuickBooks File?
When you are in a situation where you cannot really find your QuickBooks Company File, there are two things that could be the reason for this: either the QuickBooks Company File has been moved or renamed. This situation could also come up when the computer has been disconnected from the path. Or, your QuickBooks file could have also been deleted from your computer. Which is why you may be seeing the QuickBooks Company File Not Found error. So, you would have to select the way that you want to access your company file and then you would further follow the above mentioned steps.
What Options Do You Have If You Cannot Open Your QuickBooks Company File In Desktop?
- Go to the Edit Menu.
- Select the Preferences according to your choice.
- Choose the Desktop View Tab option.
- Now, you have to select the “Don’t Save The Desktop Option” and then tap on OK.
- All you have to do now is close and reopen QuickBooks.
- Then, try opening your QuickBooks Company File.
Where Is Your Company File In The QuickBooks Desktop?
- Open the QuickBooks program from the Applications folder.
- Shut down the first window which is shown as “QuickBooks Desktop Setup”
- Tap on the tab of Open or Restore an existing company.
- Select the action tab “Open A Company File” which should be seen in the “Open or Restore Company” window.
- Simply choose the “Next” option.
- Now, all you have to do is navigate towards the file option.
How Should You Restore A Company File In QuickBooks Desktop?
If you want to restore a backup QuickBooks company file to your system directly, you have to follow the given steps.
- Go to the QuickBooks program and then open the File menu.
- Simply choose the Open or Restore Company tab.
- Now, select to Restore a Backup Copy and then tap on the Next button.
- Once you’re done with this, choose the Local Backup and then tap on the Next tab.
- Simply check out your entire system and then try locating your Backup Company File.
- Now, all you have to do is choose a folder where you wish to further save your Restored QuickBooks Company File.
A QuickBooks Company file not found is quite a common error. Hence, if you come across the same, you really don’t need to worry. Just follow the easy steps given in our article and your problem will be easily sorted. We genuinely hope that this article of ours helped you to solve your QuickBooks Company File Not Found error. In case you find yourself stuck somewhere in the process, feel free to connect with us and we will be glad to help you out.