A monthly car rental opted out in favor of road trips is simply not enough to keep up with demand. The rental car prices are through the roof or just too expensive to put the brakes on your vacation. A number of nontraditional rental car companies operate like related players in the automobile space.
The rental companies describe the cars as ‘compact’, ‘economy’ or ‘intermediate’, and need to know what these names mean, so you can choose the right car group for your trip. Rental companies put cars into groups, than renting out specific makes and models, and you are choosing any car in a particular group.
The choice of renting a car is often confusing as they are described differently by the car rental companies in a language that is quite unfamiliar to the local people. It is like intermediate, mid-size, or standard, depending on the company and the other less common categories are high-performance or exotic cars.
Different Car Rental Vehicle Types
- Economy: 2 or 4 doors, 4 to 5 seats, for city drives and small trips.
- Compact: 2 or 4 doors, 5 seats, suitable for city drive and mid-length trips.
- Mid-size: 4 doors, 5 seats, exact for the city and mid-length trips with extra luggage.
- Full-size: 4 doors, 5 seats, for long trips with extra comfort and better performance.
- Premium: 4 doors, 5 seats, for long trips with extra luggage.
- Luxury: 4 doors, 5 seats, for travelling in style.
- Minivan: 4 doors, 5 seats, extra long for extra luggage.
- Convertible: 2 doors, 4 seats, renders open-air driving experience.
- Mid-size SUV: 4 doors, 5 seats, for long trips and rural roads.
- Standard SUV: 4 doors, 6 seats, for comfortable long trips.
- Full-size SUV: 4 doors, 7 seats, for long trips with extra people.
- Full-size Van: 1 door, more seats, best for a large family or group trip.
Car Rental Categories
Economy cars are affordable range vehicles with great fuel efficiencies and are of very small size.
Compact cars also go in the same affordable range with great fuel efficiency and have more space than the economy cars to accommodate more people.
Intermediate cars or mid-size cars are sedans that are more spacious than compact cars. They still stay fuel-efficient and have many models that fall in the same category.
Full-size / Premium
Full-size cars or premium cars are sedans that comfortably seat and may come with more features, but show less fuel efficiency.
Luxury Car Type
Luxury cars own high-end performance engines and interiors. SUVs, sports sedans, and executive cars along with regular luxury sedans come under the same category of luxury.
Convertible cars are sports coupes with retractable roofs to offer good performance and luxury.
Compact SUVs render good fuel efficiency in SUV form and SUVs are made available at less price.
Intermediate/ Mid-size/ Standard SUV
They are easy to drive and feature large interiors with extra compatibility features.
Full-size / Premium SUV
Full-size SUVs comfortably have ample room for luggage and may come with more features.
Luxury SUVs range in higher sizes with higher-end performance engines and luxury interiors.
Minivans are perfect rent a car for long road trips with several people.