Banksy Canvas Prints have become increasingly popular over the last few years due to Banksy’s fame and the desire of fans to own an iconic piece of his art at an affordable price.
Banksy has been raising his profile by selling original works of art to celebrities such as Angelina Jolie and Christina Aguilera. In 2006, Christina Aguilera spent $25,000 on three pieces of Banksy artworks, though that figure pales in comparison to what Angelina Jolie spent on Banksy artworks after visiting a Los Angeles exhibition.
Banksy’s popularity has also been greatly aided by his ability to remain anonymous for over a decade. There has been much speculation and media attention surrounding Banksy’s alleged identity due to the great cloud of secrecy surrounding his true identity. Although major British newspapers such as The Daily Mail and The Guardian have speculated about who Banksy is, it is safe to say that we will not know for sure who he is until he tells us.
With his wry sense of humor and willingness to challenge the establishment, Banksy appeals to the majority of people. Banksy’s anti-establishment accomplishments include the nine images he created on the Israeli West Bank barrier, in the state of Palestine, which ruffle a few feathers in the houses of parliament. But his depictions of ‘anarchist rats’ and ‘kissing coppers’ may rile some, but his work on the Israeli West Bank barrier provides him with his biggest challenge. As Banksy demonstrated, he will not allow any authority, no matter how powerful, to stop him from spreading his message.
When you put these three points together you can begin to see why Banksy is the artist on everyone’s lips and also everyone’s walls. I don’t know what Banksy has in store for us around the corner but I am sure it will be spectacular and we will be begging for more.
Street and graffiti artist Banksy’s influence in Bristol and UK is not to be denied. His career began in Bristol during the 1980s as part of the aerosol boom which witnessed many street artists such as himself and others, along with musicians working on a series of projects. After some time, Banksy managed to develop a unique technique that combined graffiti writing and stenciling, a technique that is said to be popularized by Blek le Rat. With this trademark technique, he became more popular due to his ability to produce art at a faster pace.
Since the development of his trademark technique, Banksy’s work has succeeded in gaining attention, fetched high prices, and was constantly sought by collectors, art dealers, VIPS, Hollywood celebrities, and just about anybody who could afford it. It has been reported that his work succeeded in fetching a personal record of hundreds of thousands of pounds for a single piece of work.
As a result of the high prices of most of his work, Banksy’s canvas prints were soon introduced to the public who simply found signed art, original art, and other artwork along those lines unaffordable.
Banksy canvas is said to be high in demand, especially among collectors who are either new to art collecting or without large sums of money to throw around. The majority of Banksy canvas prints are moderately priced. This makes Banksy’s canvas very much accessible to everyone.
Anyone who looks at stores and websites selling these canvas prints would notice that they are usually sold out. From here, it is easy to tell that Banksy is in his own right, a class on its own.
Most of Banksy’s artwork and paintings have been made available on such canvas prints. They are known to be produced in varying degrees in quality and come in different price tags. Still, collectors should be able to take heart knowing that most of Banksy’s canvas is aimed at the average collector, and as such, prices would be largely affordable.
To give all fans and collectors out there a general idea of the price tags of this Banksy art, it would cost anything between £15 to £39.90 depending on the quality of the canvas on sale. The quality, in return, largely depends on the printing method employed. For instance, Banksy canvas employing cheaper printing methods will be more susceptible to the fading of ink as well as cracks. Pricier canvas prints would be a better choice for those who desire to keep their favorite prints for a long time since it is durable and is not prone to cracking or fading of ink.
5 Most Expensive Banksy Art Pieces
- Banksy’s piece entitled “Picnic” was sold to American actress Angelina Jolie and actor Brad Pitt for $226,000. The artwork depicts a white family enjoying a pleasant picnic while remaining oblivious to the small crowd of starving Africans encircling them.
- Typical of Banksy’s trademark sarcastic political statements, this piece exemplifies much of what Banksy’s painting appears to be striving to communicate. The piece is loosely based on the classic Manet painting entitled, “The Picnic, or (Le Dejeuner Sur there) and uses the obvious contrast in the two main elements as a technique to satirize the inequality in income across the world and the often racial motivations behind that inequality.
- Due to the unconventional nature of Banksy’s artworks, the auctioning of his art often comes coupled with the auction of the house attached to it. One of the more notable of these situations was the $400,000 sale of a property, in southwest England. The mural on the wall of the house provided, courtesy of Banksy, was worth most of the price of the entire sale. The owners sold the home in 2007 through the Red Propeller art gallery. The owners were originally distressed that many of the prospective buyers would want to remove the mural so the sale to the art gallery was an all-around good movie; resulting in the preservation of the piece as well as a decent chunk of cash for the former owners.
- The highest asking price for a Banksy piece so far has come from a couple selling a mobile home in Norfolk, UK. The couple had met Banksy at a music festival over a decade ago, before Banksy was anything other than “just another tagger”, and allowed him to use their mobile home as a canvas which left them with a piece of art carrying a value that was formerly unimaginable to the couple. The owners decided to sell their home for $1 million because they believed that they were not capable of being responsible for such a work of art.
- In London, a Banksy photograph that appeared on a garage wall for only $2,000 ultimately paid off well for its owner. He spent an additional $60,000 to remove the mural carefully, which is now worth as much as $600,000.
- Most recently, a Banksy mural sold for over $400k in an eBay auction in January 2008. The mural, which shows a painter with his palette, his tools, and a box of supplies as he paints “Banksy” in red graffiti on a building on Portobello Road in London, was painted in 2003 and commissioned by a private collector.