You are in the right place to know the benefits of filing a trademark internationally. Trademarks and patents are among the many intellectual properties that need registration nationally and globally. It is to protect your invention for patent so that others will not use it for you only to produce and sell the products for a specific time to get maximum profit. And trademark registration makes any signs like name, logo, image and others distinguishing your products and service from others to be safe. However, if you sell products or services online, you never know who will use your trademark. And you cannot register your trademark in all the countries as it will be time-consuming, expensive and other issues. Hence, only the best patent lawyer in India could help you protect your patent or trademark from misuse.
So, check out the steps for filing the trademark internationally and the many benefits of doing it with the help of the best lawyer.
Steps for filing the trademark internationally
In this globalized and digitalized world, the Madrid system for trademark registration which started in 1891, has become more relevant. It enables you to file one single IA or international application with the Madrid system, of which 125 countries are members, and you can have protection in any of them you want. But it would help if you were a citizen of a member country and doing legitimate business there. For example, since India and most developed countries are members, you can get the trademarks registered in any of those countries. WIPO, or the World Intellectual Property Organization, administers the Madrid system composed of the Madrid Agreement and Madrid Protocol. The following are a few steps for filing the trademark internationally.
- The first step is to apply the IA with the CGPDTM or Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trademarks, a subordinate Department under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion in the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Government of India, including all the countries where you want to register the trademark.
- The second step is passing the successful application at the national level to the examination by the WIPO to find any defects in it and publish it in its international gazette.
- The third step is passing the application to the national offices of all the requested countries to get them registered.
Five benefits of filing a trademark registration by the best patent lawyer
Though the above three steps for filing a trademark registration seem easier, it is indeed a challenging task to do without rejections at all levels. Hence, only the best patent lawyer in India can help you avoid rejections and many other benefits.
- Help to file the trademark registration application from scratch to be successful.
- Enables the business owner to focus more on the core business rather than worrying about trademark registration
- Avoids any errors in the filing to make it successful at all levels to get registered in multiple countries to save money, time and effort
- Protect the registered trademark by monitoring for any misuse of it and taking appropriate legal action
- Helps to claim any damages because of the misuse of trademark or patent from those doing it not to lose reputation and money
The above facts, steps and benefits will help you choose the best patent lawyer in India to file a trademark internationally and safeguard its interests.